Monday 18 August 2014

Felting Angora

I had a go at felting some of my angora and was very pleased with the result, it being my first attempt.I will give you a run down of how I did it. But there are some very good books and videos out there if you want more info.
I laid out a towel to catch the water, a bamboo felting mat and a layer of bubble wrap. The fiber was arranged in three layers at 90 degree angles to each other. The a net curtain covered the fiber. I poured on enough soapy water to wet the angora out but not so much that it ran every where. The whole lot was rolled up round a broom handle. Then the hard work started. 


 I did 100 rolls before unrolling the fiber and giving it a quarter turn rolling up and starting again. After four turns my arms were falling off but the angora was firmly felted.
 For the second piece I spread a thin layer off coloured silk on the fiber which felted in much better than I expected. I am going to try and make a whole scarf next time . Does anyone know where I can get a felting mat long enough. The video I watched does not use one. How would that turn out I wounder.


No comments:

Post a Comment